FIX YOUR COMMUNICATION IN ONE SIMPLE STEP
We’ve got a major problem. As business owners, entrepreneurs and consultants most of us are being ignored. We feel that we are not being heard.
And honestly, it’s on us.
Now, I know that might not be a popular statement, but it’s true.
The reason why our message is ignored is because we miss one crucial first step in our communication.
In the rest of this article, I’ll share what that one mistake is AND
give you three easy ways you can make your message and the words that are coming out of your mouth resonate with your audience.
This article is for you if:
- You feel like your message just isn’t resonating with your audience
- You want to speak with more confidence
- You want to 10X your communication results
Now, let’s jump in!
The Biggest Mistake: Confusion
Many times when we have a hard time making people pay attention to what we are saying, it’s because we confuse them or overwhelm them with too much information.
Why is clarity so important? Because our brain needs it! These are the two things that our brain needs: simple and easy.
Here’s why: because our brain has two main jobs, which are:
- To help you survive and thrive. To keep you alive and happy as much as possible. If your message is not directly related to helping your audience either survive or thrive, you will have a hard time getting them to listen.
- To conserve calories. Have you ever been in a meeting all day long only to feel exhausted at the end of the day? You haven’t done any physical activity, yet you are exhausted! Why? Because your brain consumes a lot of energy when a bunch of new information is thrown at it. Our brain is constantly looking for the path of least resistance. Now take this and apply it to the people you are trying to get to listen to what you have to say. If you are unclear or confusing in your message, you will lose them, because the brain checks out. The brain says, “this is not helping me survive or thrive and it’s super complicated, so not interested. I’m gonna shut off now to conserve my battery.”
Your message needs to be so simple and so clear that the brain doesn’t have to work at all to understand it. Your brain needs clarity; your audience’s brain needs clarity.
Now that we’ve established that, the next logical question is, “How can I make my message clearer?”
I want to give you three easy ways you can make your message and the words that are coming out of your mouth resonate with your audience.
- You need to know your own message and be able to say it in a clear and concise way.
Can you articulate it in a sentence or two? If not, that should be the first thing you need to get clear on.
What is the message you are so passionate about, exactly? If you said it to a 6-year-old, could they understand and repeat it back to you?
How can you say it in as few words as possible and still say it clearly? The shorter the better, because it’s easier for people to memorize it. And that’s what you want.
- You need to know who your message is for. Here’s the thing -- you don’t have to be for everyone. In fact, you shouldn’t be for everyone. In fact, you aren’t for everyone. The faster you embrace this reality, the better off you will be and the more effective your message will become with those who you are for!
One of the greatest examples of this is Jesus from the Bible. Talk about someone who had a message that attracted many and repelled others. So, think about that when you are too afraid or worried about alienating some people.
- You need to know what specific problem you solve. And that needs to show up in your communication. How do you help your specific person either survive, improve their life or business, or avoid pitfalls and pain.
Simply put, how are you helping them become a better version of themselves? How are you helping them succeed? What is that one specific problem you had them solve so they can get the specific desired results they are after.
And you need to communicate that not only clearly, but consistently so your audience automatically starts associating you and your brand with that specific thing.
If you don’t fix this major issue in your communication and message, you are paying a pretty hefty price for it.
What price do you pay for not communicating our message clearly?
- Your audience can’t understand how you help them, therefore they go to your competition
- Your products and services are not differentiated from other companies products and services
- Your clients don’t know the why and bigger purpose to your brand, therefore they fail to get the bigger vision and make a deeper connection
- Every time you share your message, it sounds different -- because of that people get confused
- At the end of the day, customers are choosing to go somewhere else because they can't see clearly the benefits you offer.
I’d say that’s a pretty hefty price to pay.
But since you are here, I want to give you a few quick action steps so you can start correcting this messaging error.
Here’s your DREAM to DONE action step:
- Write down what you do - if possible - in 3 or less words. Come up with 2-3 variations (Example: speak with confidence, social media growth, website traffic)
- Who are you helping? Be as specific as possible. (ambitious fempreneurs, brand new biz owners, personal brands)
- What result do you help them get? (make more money, make a positive impact, start a biz the right way)
When you put those three things together you get what we call a value articulator statement. For example,
“I help ambitious fempreneurs speak for high impact so they can make more money in their biz.”
Once you have your “clear and easy to repeat and remember” statement, say it over and over and over again. Say it on your website, social media, videos, on all the stages or platforms and anyone you encounter.
This is how you make sure you are known for that one thing and you stand out to people.
I’d love to know what you found most helpful from this lesson! Drop a comment on YouTube or Instagram and let’s continue the conversation!
Make a LEGIT impact with your words!
Get ready to be heard when you speak with this free 5-step guide. Fill in the simple form below for instant download.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.