The Secrets To Being Seen, Heard and Understood (Part 1)
When you talk about your brand or biz do you feel like your words fall on deaf ears? When people ask you what you do and you start telling them, do you get a blank stare or wandering gaze that lets you know people are either not interested or they are just not getting it?
Or maybe you spent an enormous amount of money on building a gorgeous website for your brand only to find out it’s not bringing you any results because people are not engaging with it?
In today’s Captivate Episode we are talking about the secrets to being seen, heard, and understood when it comes to your business and brand.
Hint: it has to do with how you communicate your message!
WHAT IS THE SECRET OF BEING SEEN, HEARD, AND UNDERSTOOD WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR BIZ?
SECRET #1: BE CLEAR
The human brain processes and retains information better when it’s presented clearly. Two things to know how the brain functions and how you can use this to your advantage:
- Its job is to help you survive and thrive. To keep you alive and happy as much as possible. If your message is not directly related to helping your audience either survive or thrive, you will have a hard time getting them to listen.
- Conserve calories. Have you ever been in a meeting all day long only to feel exhausted at the end of the day? You haven’t done any physical activity yet you are exhausted?
Because your brain consumes a lot of energy when a bunch of new information is thrown at it. Our brain is constantly looking for the path of least resistance.
Now take this to the people you are trying to get to listen to what you have to say. If you are unclear or confusing in your message, you will lose them, because the brain checks out.
The brain says - this is not helping me survive or thrive and it’s super complicated, not interested. I’m gonna shut it off now to conserve my battery.
You need clarity, your audience needs clarity.
SECRET #2: BE CONCISE
You need to be short and brief. In a world loaded with words and information, the companies and brands that are able to communicate their value in the least amount of words and time are the ones that will stand out.
Here’s what I want you to remember: Clear will always outdo clever! Always.
As business owners, we fall into two traps when it comes to communicating our message to an audience.
1. We use insider language that makes no sense to people around us. A great test for this, if you tell a 7-year-old what you do, can they repeat it back to you and can they understand it. That’s the level you need to bring your messaging to.
2. We use big words in order to sound more sophisticated.
Don Miller puts it so well: “You confuse, you lose”.
The more concise you can be in your speech and with your messaging the higher your success rate in getting people to listen and understand you!
SECRET #3: BE CONFIDENT
Why is confidence important?
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever sat through a presentation where it was obvious that the speaker or presenter was super nervous? Their hands and voice were shaking, maybe they were sweating profusely, and you could tell they were very uncomfortable and insecure being up there?
How did you feel watching them? Did you feel bad for them? Did you feel like you were a bit sitting on pins and needles the whole time because you were nervous for them? Were you able to fully enjoy and be engaged?
I know I’ve sat through a few presentations myself, and one of these I was seriously worried about the person passing out. While I was super concerned about them, I didn’t feel assured that this person really knows what they are talking about.
I had serious questions and doubts about really fully believing and trusting the words they just shared.
Why? Because when we see a confident person, there’s a huge difference. We feel at ease and we also feel confident that this person obviously knows what they are talking about; so I can rest assured and trust in the abilities.
We have to have a certain amount of confidence in order to effectively share our message.
If you are listening to this and think:
“OMG! I’m not confident.”
“I don’t think I can do this.”
“How can I be more confident?”
I have good news for you: confidence is a learnable skill! No one is born with it. It’s something we all can and need to work on daily.
Even people you look up to, people who you consider super successful still deal with confidence on a regular basis.
Because with each new level come new challenges. Each new level of success requires a new you, which requires new confidence.
Here’s what I want you to keep in mind: confidence comes from action, not the other way around!
So many of us keep waiting around, telling ourselves I’ll take action once I build up my confidence.
Hate to be the bearer of tough news but confidence will appear in the midst of messy action!
If you are waiting for the confidence to appear first you will be waiting for a very very long time.
3 secrets on how to be seen, heard, and understood:
- Be clear: The human brain processes and retains information better when it’s presented clearly. Your audience is more receptive if you are clear with your message.
- Be concise: You need to be short and brief. In a world loaded with words and information, the companies and brands that are able to communicate their value in the least amount of words and time are the ones that will stand out.
- Be confident: Confidence will appear in the midst of messy action! But confidence is a learnable skill. No one is born with it. It’s something we all can and need to work on daily.
Make a LEGIT impact with your words!
Get ready to be heard when you speak with this free 5-step guide. Fill in the simple form below for instant download.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.